Last Updated: September 2023
Intended Audience: School Ops who are setting up their Ponder Paper scanner for the first time.
Context: How to unpack and setup your brand new Ponder Paper scanner. After setup, use the article on how to scan in the test pages (link here).
Video covering the setup instructions: found here
1. After ordering and receiving your scanner, begin the setup process.
2. Important notes:
- Ponder Paper uses the Fujitsu fi-7300nx scanner
- After setup, safely store the box and all packaging
- After completing these steps, the scanners can be unplugged and moved as needed and won't lose their setup information.
3. Items you will need to setup your new scanner:
- A flat surface for your scanner that is close to an outlet and an ethernet port (and spacious enough to fit a paper cutter next to it or close by)
- 1 - ethernet cable that is long enough to cover the distance from the scanner to your ethernet wall port
- 1 - scissor to cut open the box
- 1 - Ponder Paper scanner sticker (if available)
- 1 - printed copy of the scanner test pages (print this 4 page document double sided)
- 1 - pencil or pen
- 1 - Ponder Paper fob
4. Open the box.
5. Take out the slim box, label it "Ponder Paper scanner accessories" and store it in a safe location e.g. tech closet. This box includes a CD with the user manual and a USB cable for software updates so it will not be needed at the moment.
6. Take out and unwrap the power cord that comes in 2 parts, an AC Cable and an AC Adapter. As an example and if a replacement is ever needed, this is part 1 and this is part 2. Connect the two pieces together.
7. Take out and unwrap the Chuter Unit (the plastic piece that holds the packets up to feed into the scanner). Remove any tape.
8. Take out and unwrap the scanner. Remove any tape. on the device.
9. Pick up your Chuter Unit and clip it into the back of the scanner. Open the wings all the way so that a regular sized packet (8.5 X 11) can fit.
10. Pick up with power cord and connect it to the back of the scanner. Connect the plug into an outlet.
11. Pick up your ethernet cord and connect it to the back of the scanner. Connect the other end of the ethernet cable into an internet port.
12. If available, apply the Ponder Paper scanner sticker to the front of your scanner:
13. Towards the top left corner of the screen, ensure that the sliding button is set to multi-page:
Scanner Setup Continued
The following steps will walk you through how to connect your new scanner to the network:
The goals of the instructions below is to:
- Tell the scanner to use ethernet (NOT wifi)
- Point the scanner to the scan server at scans.uncommonschools.org
- Give the scanner a name so that it’s possible to tell at which school the scanner is located
Note: The screens when a scanner is turned on for the first time may vary somewhat. The below screens might not exactly match what you see. Please keep this in mind and if you need support, email email@example.com
1. Hit the power button on the front of your scanner
2. Set language as "English"
3. Select "Next"
4. Important step, do not use wifi: Select "No"
5. Select "Wired LAN"
6. Select "Start"
7. Select "Next"
8. Toggle on the Enable button and select "Next"
9. Select "Encryption off" and select "Next"
10. Select "Next"
11. Click on "Do not use", in the menu choose "Private Server"
12. In the “Host name” box type in scans.uncommonschools.org then "OK" and select “Check Connection”
13. In the pop up, select "OK"
14. Select "Next"
15. Click on "Fast" and then select "Next"
16. Under Scanner Name:
Important Notes - Scanner Names:
- Once the new scanner name is saved, it should not be changed, so please double check the name before completing the following next steps.
- Do not name multiple scanners the same name, e.g. ABC, ABC, ABC. This will cause scanning issues.
Click to edit the current scanner name.
Using the keyboard, delete the current scanner name.
Now you will give the scanner a new name using the format: schoolId-room-#
- Enter your PowerSchool school_number (for example LPOHMA is 404) See section below if you do not know your PowerSchool school number.
- Then the dash symbol -
- Then the room where the scanner is (for example, stemtwr, elatwr)
- Then the dash symbol -
- Then the number 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. depending on how many scanners you have
If you do not know your PowerSchool school_number:
In this Reference Sheet, refer to column C for your school
Once logged into your PowerSchool site, if you click on the top right drop down location menu, to the left of your school name I'll see the PowerSchool school_number. For example:
Scanner name examples:
If school WCCS (PS school number: 201) has 1 scanner in a teacher work room, their name could be:
If school LPOH-MA (PS school number: 404) has 4 scanners, two for each teacher work room, their names could be:
Then click “Next”
17. Select "Complete"
18. The screen will now look like this
19. Next, add a label on each of your scanners with the scanner name. For example, a post it or tape on the side of the scanner with it's new scanner name. This is a helpful best practice to help with device troubleshooting.
20. After setup, please safely store the box and all packaging.
Next, continue onto this article to run a scanner test.