Last Updated: November 2023
Intended Audience: School staff (e.g. Ops) who maintain their school's Fujitsu scanner(s)
Context: After heavy use, your scanner may need to be cleaned. Otherwise, your scanned student work may include unwanted markings, such as the image below:
Example of scanner with dirty wheel:
If not already in your school, order a cleaning kit found here:
How to clean:
1. Open the scanner
Above the screen, locate and push forward the lever.
Gently open the scanner all the way forward.
Caution: When the ADF is open, it might close accidentally. Be careful not to get your fingers caught.
If your scanner is powered on, you will see "ADF open" appear on the screen:
2. Remove any debris
Important: do not use compressed air aka electronic duster spray
Caution: Avoid damaging the sensors underneath the wheels (below the paper feeder)
Image of sensors:
Take out a cotton swab from the cleaning kit.
Gently examine the inside of the scanner and use the cotton swab to remove any bits of paper that may be trapped or sitting at the very bottom.
Do not use your fingers as oils or fingerprints may get on the glass surface.
If needed, the cotton swab can be lightly moistened using the F1 cleaning spray in the cleaning kit.
3. Clean the scanner - cleaning paper:
Context: This step uses a large cleaning paper with cleaning spray to clean the inside of the scanner by "scanning" the cleaning paper.
- Power on the scanner.
- On the touch screen, press the settings icon. On the main menu choose, Cleaning & Maintenance, then Cleaning, then Cleaning Paper.
- Take out the cleaning paper and the cleaning spray (Cleaner F1) from the cleaning kit.
- Lightly spray the cleaning paper with the spray. It may take a long time to dry if an excessive amount of Cleaner F1 is used. Use only a small amount.
- Load the Cleaning Paper in the paper chute (aka feeder). Adjust the chute extension and stacker as needed.
- Adjust the side guides to the width of the Cleaning Paper. Move the side guides so that there is no space between the side guides and the Cleaning Paper. Otherwise, the Cleaning Paper may be fed skewed.
- On the touch screen, press the Start button on the Cleaning Paper screen.
- The Cleaning Paper will then be fed and ejected onto the stacker.
- Repeat until Cleaning Paper comes out completely clean (no visible lines or marks left on cleaning paper).
4. Clean the scanner - cleaning cloth and spray:
Context: This step cleans the important parts inside the scanner: the glass, the different wheels aka rollers, and the sensors to remove any black residue.
- Using your F1 cleaning spray and small cleaning cloth from the cleaning kit, watch and follow the video below. Note that the scanner in the video is slightly different from the scanner at your school but the instructions are the same:
This video is an example of how to clean the parts inside your scanner:
- If written instructions are preferred, read this guide (beginning on page 7).
- Tip: use the cotton swab in the cleaning kit for hard to reach areas.
- Important: After cleaning, confirm that all pieces are properly re-attached. Otherwise, paper jams or other feeding errors may occur.
5. Run a scanner test:
After cleaning, refer to the Scan Test article to verify that scans now appear without any markings.
Replacing parts of your scanner:
- If replacement parts are needed, e.g. a wheel is damaged, first use the parts provided in the the cleaning kit.
- If additional parts are needed, order more from the Fujitsu site for the scanner fi-7300NX:
- Instructions on how to replace certain parts are found here
Still need help? Please reach out to your Support team for further assistance.