Last Updated: September 2023
Intended Audience: Schools Ops
Context: Below are instructions on how to order and setup the Ponder Paper cutter and guide. This equipment cuts off the corners of a packet so that all staples are removed in one step. Please note, stapled packets cannot go into the scanner or else the scanner will malfunction (see troubleshooting article if this occurs).
Please contact email@example.com if you have any setup issues.
1. For schoolyear 23-24, Ponder Paper users will be utilizing the Vevor Guillotine Paper Cutter 12"
2. Order the Vevor paper cutter here
3. There is also an option on Amazon, although it costs slightly more than on the Vevor site (as of Sept. 2023)
4. If not already available, order a screw driver. We recommend this one from Amazon.
1. For schoolyear 23-24, Ponder Paper will be delivering 2 guides to your school. One for use and the second as a spare:
1. Important notes: After setup, safely store the box and all packaging
2. Cutter location: find a flat surface that is close to the Ponder Paper scanner, for example:
3. Items you will need to setup your new scanner:
- A flat surface for your cutter that is close to the scanner(s) - see example photo below
- 1 - scissor to cut open the box
- 1 - screwdriver
- 1 - Ponder provided metal cutter guide
- A stack of paper (approximately 40 pages) you can use to test the cutter
4. Open the box.
5. Take out the instruction manual. Store this in a safe location.
6. Locate the cutting bar and place it on it's side (red lock ball facing up, see photo below). Locate the bag with screws and place 4 screws underneath each hole:
7. Locate the cutting base and align it over the 4 holes in the cutting bar, see photos below:
8. Locate the bag with screws and take out 4 washers and 4 bolts.
9. Use one hand to hold the screw up through the hole:
10. Place a washer
11. Place a bolt on top
12. For now, tighten it until it is sturdy but not entirely firm.
13. Repeat for the other 3 screws.
14. Locate the little bag of tools. Take out the wrench and the middle sized hex key (see photo):
15. Place the hex key underneath the screw to hold the screw steady. Then use the wrench to tighten the bolt (see photo). Repeat to tighten all 4 bolts.
16. Lay the cutter right side up:
17. Locate the cutter wheel. Slightly unscrew the wheel screw. Align the screw in the wheel with the hole in the wheel handle, see photo below:
18. Use a screw driver to attach the wheel, see photo below:
19. Pull out the handle from inside the wheel, see photo below:
20. Locate the cutting handle and place it into the cutting bar head, see photo below:
21. Your cutter is now setup:
1. Locate your metal Ponder cutter guide:
2. Slide the guide on top of your cutter so that the arrows point towards the blade, see photo below:
3. The guide is intended to slide to different parts of the blade for cleaner cuts as the blade ages.
Testing the cutter:
1. Unwind the wheel to raise the clamp all the way up.
2. Place a stack of paper in the guide.
3. Slide the guide to be flush against the blade:
4. Turn the wheel so that the clamp drops and is firmly holding your stack in place:
5. With one hand, pull the red ball to unlock the blade.
6. With your other hand, grab the cutter handle and bring down the blade in one quick movement:
7. Important: Raise the cutter handle back up, let go of the red lock ball and ensure the blade is locked upright.
8. Turn the wheel to unwind the clamp:
9. Remove your now cut corner papers from the guide:
10. Examine the corners to ensure all staples were cut off.
11. Repeat as needed.